At Hapag-Lloyd, you don’t have to set sail before setting course for your career. As one of the world’s leading shipping companies, we offer first rate career opportunities at more than 360 sites in around 125 countries. With more than 13,000 employees both on land and at sea we have the most diverse talent on board. As a team, we do everything we can to transport all kinds of goods from A to B. And we have been doing this for almost 170 years! How do we ensure the highest standards in terms of reliability, service, productivity and environmental protection? By forming a global team united by passion and state-of-the-art IT that brings everything and everyone safely into the harbour.
For our location in Dubai we are looking for a
Specialist Crew Management & Training (m/f)Responsibilities and Tasks:
Overall Job Purpose
- Recruitment, training, developing staff and crew planning for all seagoing personnel.
- Ensuring that all HL managed vessels are staffed by highly qualified and motivated officers and crew, in order to achieve the company’s objectives.
Job Specification - Key Accountabilities
- Manage recruiting for directly employed staff and conduct application management
- Implement innovative and resourceful means to source candidates directly as far as possible, thus ensuring better control over costs and quality
- Aim towards a minimum lead time in recruiting process, starting from the identification of a vacancy to on boarding of employee
- Liaise with industry specialized crewing agencies for the provision of ratings
Training and Development
- Develop an education system with targeted cadetship-program in our fleet
- Develop the existing trainings shore-based training system for officers and ratings
- Monitor crew performance through Performance Management System, in order to plan career progression for all seagoing staff
- Assist the Director Crew Management and Training in various projects and individual training demand for Fleet Management.
Crew Planning and Management
- Ensure proactive monthly crew planning on vessels, taking into account personnel’s age, medical fitness level, visa status, where required
- Follow up on communication and plans with agencies for crew changes and forward all required documents (flag state application, flag state endorsement, CRA, VOD, etc.) and send joining instructions
- Ensure crewing software is updated frequently with crew personal data, review required documents ensuring they are up to date and valid, and ensure the dates of Sign on & Sign off are recorded
- Travel Management for mobilization & demobilization of ship’s staff
- Take necessary actions in any urgent crew related matters (i.e. sickness, family related matters, disciplinary issues).
Sign-On / Sign-Off
- Manage the visa application process and ensure all required health certificates and seamen ID cards, if applicable, are obtained for all seagoing personnel
- Ensure flag state endorsements for joining personnel are obtained
- Handle all labor relation matters, including payroll, employee contracts, certificate authentication checks, policies and procedures, drug and alcohol testing, etc., for seagoing employees in order to ensure compliance with regulations
- Review and follow up vessel monthly reports that record crewmembers and crew changes on board, and the health and safety log of crew, raising any issues that require the attention of the Director Crew Management and Training
- Select, review and recommend seagoing employees for promotion based on performance review in consultation with Director Crew Management and Training
- Implement approved wages, and benefits based on personal performance measured against KPI’s, and industry standards on an annual basis
- Manage payroll requirements for seagoing employees
- As approved by Director Crew Management and Training, prepare and send termination letters to concerned crew member, and communicate termination to Fleet Personnel Accounts
- Timely Submission of monthly reports such as headcounts, travel expenses, crew changes summary and other job relevant data
- Monitor IFS records to ensure the compliance with STCW & ILO hours of work & rest regulations and provide relevant reports.
- Monitor and ensure that all UASC required trainings (Seagull and other CBT), and other external & internal trainings are completed.
- Comply with all relevant safety, quality, and environmental management procedures and controls within a defined area of Fleet Personnel activity in order to guarantee employee safety, legal adherence, and the delivery of high quality products / services, and a responsible environmental attitude.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Job-holder should expect to carry out his duties even beyond the Office working hours
- To ensure the business continuity, Weekends/Holidays duties will be assigned to Job-holder based on the business needs and workload management
- When required and based on management decision, Jobholder should expect travelling within/out of the region to meet with MTO’s, conducts performance review, implement coaching, sessions and workshops
- Bachelor’s Degree, in Maritime and Transport, Nautical science, Ship Engineering, etc.
- Merchant marine study with sailing on board container ships in operational level or in alternative an education in the maritime industry (e.g. shipping clerk) with relevant work experience is mandatory.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a similar role in the crewing department
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken
- Knowledge of the shipping industry
- Knowledge of crewing related maritime legal and regulatory requirements like STCW, MLC, etc.
- Readiness to learn and adapt quickly to marine human resources workflows
- Demonstration a high degree of reliability when dealing with confidential and personal data
- You convince with a positive and service-oriented charisma, flexibility and the ability to work in a team
- Good MS Office Skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to handle stress and to complete many tasks simultaneously
- Driver for results – can be counted on to meet/exceed goals consistently, steadfastly pushing self and others for improvement of standards and self-development
- Uses logic to solve difficult problems, looking beyond the obvious to probe for creative solutions in order to meet best solutions for our seafarers
- Ability to organize people and activities to take advantage of synergies and integration and to achieve more with fewer resources
Interested? You can expect a responsible position in a worldwide operating company. Please send your complete application documents via email to the contact person indicated here, specifying your earliest possible starting date and your salary requirement.
The handling of your application requires the processing of personal data relating to you. Information is processed by dedicated HR staff members and Hapag-Lloyd management staff participating in the selection procedure of the position you applied for. In case you are applying for a position which is based with another company of the Hapag-Lloyd Group outside your country of origin, please be aware that the country to which data are transferred may not have the same data-protection standards as the country in which you initially provided the information. Within the Hapag-Lloyd Group, data is strictly protected in full compliance with internal Hapag-Lloyd policies and legal obligations. We will not transfer data to third parties outside the Hapag-Lloyd Group, and we will use data only for the selection of the candidate for the position mentioned above. You always have the right to request more detailed information about the data processed relating to you; you may alternatively ask for access to these data, and you may request that inaccurate data is deleted or rectified.You may withdraw your consent at any time with effect for the future. The data in question will be deleted immediately. In this case, please send your withdrawal, stating your full name, the job offer to which you have applied, and your e-mail address to email@example.com. Instead of deleting data relating to you, Hapag-Lloyd may be admonished to block such data, but solely in the cases provided by law. Please also note that we are unable to continue handling your application in the event of withdrawal or revocation. For more information you may consult the Privacy Terms on the Hapag-Lloyd website or contact our Corporate Data Protection office at firstname.lastname@example.org