Not only our vessels are constantly on a voyage around the globe – also we as a company and we as a company internal IT department are constantly on the journey to come closer to our company’s vision of being the number one for quality in our industry.
To ensure seamless handling of containers along the transport chain Hapag-Lloyd uses a self-developed Carrier Customs handling system which is highly integrated into our operational IT systems. Hapag-Lloyd has EDI connections to more than 100 countries to fulfil legal obligations and file our documents to customs authorities. Already 50% of our customs filings are automated and the degree of automation will increase during the next years.
For this exciting journey, we are hiring highly skilled & motivated colleagues who would like to be part of this endeavour and join in the role of Software Engineer helping us to build up the Digital Carrier Customs product team in our Knowledge Center in Gdansk.
For our location in Gdansk we are looking for a
Java Engineer with Cloud, Knowledge Centre (m/f/d)Responsibilities and Tasks:
Your daily tasks will include (but will not be limited to):
- Design and develop background processes and web-services (mainly back-end elements) in JavaEE v.8, work with architecture based on Clean Architecture and DDD
- Analyse existing systems, solutions, business processes and requirements in close cooperation with internal stakeholders as well as external partners
- Transforming existing Customs Handling System from the current version (procedural) to the new state-of-the-art IT platform (Java EE) with solid implementation ofCI/CD
- Writing automated tests (unit tests, database tests, integration based on selenium), code coverage at least 80% of code lines
- Working on Customs-as-a-product, including all software lifecycles (analysis, design, coding, testing, rollout, maintenance and 3rd level support)
- Build Docker images and automate deployment with Jenkins
- Scaling Jenkins and Docker with Kubernetes
- Working with experienced engineers in your team and tight cooperation with IT-colleagues in Hamburg (mainly online meetings, some travelling possible)
Requirements and Qualifications:
- BSc/MSc in computer science, mathematics, physics, engineering or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in a similar position
- Good Java EE skills or strong Spring and willingness to switch to EE platform
- Experience in the development of web-services, restful API
- Relational databases and SQL skills
- Strong cloud skills, any vendor (we use IBM cloud but do not narrow to vendor-specific solutions)
- Platform/Infrastructure-as-code, container management system (preferably Kubernetes / Open Shift)
- Experience with messaging system (preferably Apache Kafka)
- High proficiency in spoken and written English and very good communication skills
You will be working with modern software development tools like Eclipse, Git, Maven, Jenkins in Scrum/Agile setup. You will join a highly motivated team with strong product ownership and high degree of customer focus.
The perfect candidate can also demonstrate:
- Architectural background for separating monolith application into microservice-approach (Single Responsibility, loose coupling, lightweight async communication, separation of concerns)
- Agile mindset, experience with Scrum framework
- Working experience or knowledge of international logistics context
- Polish and German language skills are welcome.
Hapag-Lloyd Aktiengesellschaft (Spółka akcyjna) Oddział w Polsce
HR Management • Mrs Urszula Moskal
Al. Grunwaldzka 413 • 80-309 Gdańsk